Nov 29, 2009

Italian Supreme Burgers





My husband and I love watching the food reality shows - and I happened to watch one episode of The Next Food Network star where they had a burger challenge.  I knew right away that this burger was something that both of us would love - but after the show ended - I forgot about it.  Luckily, one of my favorite food bloggers   also saw this episode and made the burger!   I knew then that I had to try this - I made it once over the summer on my outdoor grill and this time inside on my grill pan.  It doesn't matter the time of year - this burger is divine.  I slightly adapted this recipe (I don't like bacon or pancetta on my burgers!)

Ingredients:
For the patties (makes 4 burgers):

  • 1 lb. ground sirloin
  • 2 tbsp. yellow onion, finely chopped
  • 1 tsp. garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp. salt1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
  • 1/4 tsp. black pepper
  • 1-2 dashes of balsamic vinegar
  • Sliced fresh mozzarella
  • Fresh basil leaves


For the basil ketchup:

  • ½ cup ketchup
  • 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves - chopped fine
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • ½ tsp. red pepper flakes

For serving:

 
Directions:
1. To make the patties, combine the ground sirloin, onion, garlic, salt, Italian seasoning, pepper and balsamic vinegar in a large bowl.  Mix well to thoroughly combine.  

2. Divide the mixture into four equal portions; divide each of these further into halves so that you have 8 equal portions of the meat mixture.   Form each portion into a thin, round patty.  Place a slice of fresh mozzarella and a few basil leaves on top of four of the patties.  Lay the remaining patties on top of these, sandwiching the mozzarella in the center.  Pinch the edges of the patties together to form one large patty with the cheese in the center.   Place in refrigerator to firm up - for at least 30 minutes. 

3. To make the basil ketchup:   Combine the ketchup, basil, garlic and red pepper flakes in a small bowl and stir.   Set aside.
4.  Cook the burgers on a preheated grill (indoor or outdoor) until cooked completely and until the cheese inside has melted.  Just before the burgers are done cooking, split the Kaiser rolls in half.  Toast the buns and then spread with garlic butter.  Assemble the cooked burgers on the rolls with fresh lettuce, tomato, and basil ketchup as desired.

Adapted from and seen on Annie's Eats, originally adapted from the Mulberry Street Burger, garlic butter from Allrecipes









No comments:

Post a Comment