Dec 30, 2009

Cilantro Hummus


Hummus is such a great food item - not only does it taste good - it's filling and good for you too!  I grew up thinking I didn't like garbanzo beans - until I finally tried them as an adult - I didn't know what I was missing.  This recipe combines that with one of my other favorite flavors - cilantro.   This is recipe is so yummy - my 2 year old niece was actually licking it off her plate!   As a side note - I love my food processor - until I got it this year (thanks Nicole!) I wasn't able to make this at home - but now it's just too easy not to. 

Ingredients
  • handful of fresh cilantro leaves (approx. 1/2 cup), plus 2 tbsp. chopped for garnish
  • 2 jalapeno peppers, ribbed and seeded
  • 1 clove garlic, peeled
  • 3 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice (from 1-2 lemons)
  • 4 tbsp. water
  • 6 tbsp. tahini
  • 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
  • 1 (14 oz.) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed (reserve 2 tbsp. for garnish)
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. cumin
  • dash of cayenne pepper
  
Directions
1. Combine the cilantro, jalapenos, garlic, garbanzo beans, salt, cumin and cayenne in the bowl of a food processor.  Pulse until the ingredients have been finely minced.  Scrape down sides of bowl. 
2. In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice and water.
3. In another bowl, whisk together the tahini and olive oil.
4. With the machine running add the lemon juice-water mixture in a steady stream through the feed tube.  Scrape down the bowl and continue to process for one minute.
5. With the machine running, add the oil-tahini mixture in a steady stream through the feed tube, and continue to process until smooth and creamy, about 15 seconds, scraping down the bowl as needed.
6. Transfer the hummus to a serving bowl, garnish with reserved garbanzo beans, chopped cilantro and a drizzle of olive oil, cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes to allow flavors to meld.  Serve with tortilla chips, pita bread, carrots, celery, etc. 

Source:  Cook's Illustrated, inspired by Annie's Eats

Printer-friendly version


1 comment:

  1. I love making homemade hummus and my husband and I both love cilantro, I will definitely be making this!

    ReplyDelete