Dec 7, 2009

Concord Grape Pie





I love Concord Grapes when they are in season in the fall.   This is something I've been making for the last two years, and since I don't just want my husband and myself to eat the entire pie - I freeze the filling and save it for Thanksgiving.  I couldn't find the recipe that I used last year - so I just tried to use my memory when making the filling.  And it worked out great - luckily I wrote it down (and started this blog) so I'll know what I did for next fall.   For some people this may seem like its too labor intensive - but it really is not that hard and the results are worth it.    At last Thanksgiving we did a taste test with my pie and one from Monica's and everyone enjoyed mine more.
I'll also include my favorite pie crust recipe that I've been making for the last few years - and I got a food processor this year - so it was even easier to make! 


Ingredients:
for the pie filling
  • 2 quarts of Concord Grapes
  • 3/4 cup of sugar
  • juice of 1/2 a lemon
  • 3 tbsp. of instant tapioca
for the topping
  • 1/2 cup oats
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • dash of cinnamon
  • dash of vanilla
for the pie crust
  • 2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp. table salt
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • 12 tbsp (1 1/2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch slices
  • 1/2 cup cold vegetable shortening, cut into 4 pieces
  • 1/4 cup cold vodka
  • 1/4 cup cold water
Directions:
for the pie filling:
1. Wash the Concord grapes.  Get three bowls ready (I do this while watching TV) - one for the skins, one for the seeds/pulp and one for the waste.   Squeeze the grapes into one bowl and place the empty skins in another.  (I use a third to put the stems or any grapes that have shriveled).
2. Once you have separated all of the skins from the seeds/pulp.  You place them in a saucepan over medium heat and cook for about 10 minutes - until the pulp and seeds start to separate. 
3.  Place this mixture in a strainer and push all of the pulp/juices into another bowl and discard the seeds.
4.  Place the pulp/juices back in the saucepan and add the skins.  Then add the sugar, lemon juice and tapioca.    Boil this mixture until thick - about 10 - 15 minutes.  Either use immediately or freeze for later use (I freeze for a month with no issues at all to the final product)

To make the pie crust:
1. Process 1 1/2 cups flour, salt, and sugar in food processor until combined, about 2 one-second pulses.
2. Add butter and shortening and process until homogeneous dough just starts to collect in uneven clumps, about 15 seconds (dough will resemble cottage cheese curds and there should be no uncoated flour).
3. Scrape bowl with rubber spatula and redistribute dough evenly around processor blade.
4. Add remaining cup flour and pulse until mixture is evenly distributed around bowl and mass of dough has been broken up, 4 to 6 quick pulses. Empty mixture into medium bowl.
5. Sprinkle vodka and water over mixture. With rubber spatula, use folding motion to mix, pressing down on dough until dough is slightly tacky and sticks together.
6. Divide dough into two even balls and flatten each into 4-inch disk. Wrap each in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 45 minutes or up to 2 days.

to make the crumb topping and bake the pie:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Roll out and refrigerate pie crust.  
3. Combine all of the topping ingredients in a small bowl
4.  Pour grape filling (defrosted) into an unbaked pie crust and sprinkle crumb topping on top.
5.  Cover the pie crust with foil or pie shield. 
6.  Bake for 40 to 45 minutes until the topping is crisp and the filling has set.
Enjoy!

Pie crust from Cooks Illustrated (Foolproof pie dough) 

1 comment:

  1. I was just talking about grape pies the other day. I've never had one, but always wanted to try one. I'll have to remember this recipe when fall and grape season rolls around and give it a try!

    ReplyDelete