Jan 28, 2010

Soy-glazed Salmon and Spinach




This meal was from one of those nights where I didn't have something 'planned' and I hadn't been to the grocery store yet - so I had to use what I had available in the house at the moment.   I enjoy the challenge of figuring out what to make in this situation (and avoid giving up and just getting take-out).  I usually have some individual salmon portions and I always have frozen spinach on hand - so these recipes were perfect!

  I love the taste of soy sauce on fish - so I really enjoyed this recipe.  My husband prefers my standby salmon recipe to this one - but I think I would still make this recipe again.   I used frozen spinach (since it was all I had on hand) but this would be so much better with fresh spinach. 

Ingredients
salmon:

  • 2 individual salmon portions
  • 2 tbsp. brown sugar
  • 2 tbsp. soy sauce
  • 2 tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 tbsp. lemon juice
  • 1 tbsp. dry white wine (vermouth)
  • sesame seeds (for garnish)
spinach:
  • 2 tsp. sesame oil
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 large bunch of spinach (or 1 bag of frozen chopped spinach)
  • 2 tsp. soy sauce
  • 1 tsp. sesame seeds


Directions
for the salmon:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Combine sugar, soy sauce, oil, lemon juice and wine in a small bowl and stir to combine.  
2.  Place salmon in a baking dish and cover with the glaze.   
3.  Bake for 15 - 20 minutes - occasionally basting with the glaze.   Check the temperature of the fish - it is done at 130 degrees.   Garnish with sesame seeds.



for the spinach:
Heat the oil in a large skillet.  Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.  Then add the spinach and soy sauce.   Cook until spinach is wilted and heated through.  Garnish with sesame seeds. 


Sources:
spinach: adapted from Men's Health




No comments:

Post a Comment