Feb 17, 2010

Cheddar Scallion Biscuits

I was looking around for a copy-cat recipe for Red Lobster Cheddar bay biscuits - but I didn't want to use Bisquick.   So this recipe was perfect - they were very easy to whip up and tasted great.  I served them with my favorite chili-rubbed salmon and a veggie - and they were great.  I froze the leftovers and I just ate one the other day - and it tasted as good as it did the day I made them.   I don't know how similar they are to Red Lobster though - since I can't remember the last time I ate there - but I do know they make good biscuits!
I thought it was fitting to photograph these on this plate that I got a few years back at a Buffalo China sale - they are actually plates that were originally made for Red Lobster!  See the cute fish swimming around the plate?! :)

Ingredients
  • 1 cup plus 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp seasoned salt salt
  • 6 Tbsp (3/4 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
  • 1 cup (4 oz.) grated Cheddar cheese
  • 3 scallions, finely chopped
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk  (I used 2 tbsp. dried + 1/2 cup water)
  • 2 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted1/2 tsp. dried Italian seasoning

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. Whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar, baking soda and salt, in a bowl, then blend in butter with your fingertips or a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal.
3. Stir in Cheddar and scallions.
4. Add buttermilk and stir until just combined.
5. Drop dough in 6 equal mounds about 2 inches apart onto a baking sheet.
6. Bake in middle of oven until golden, 15 minutes.
7. While baking, combine the melted butter and Italian seasoning. Brush butter-herb mixture over hot biscuits once baked.

Source: adapted from the Piggly-Wiggly, originally from Gourmet

2 comments:

  1. I love Cheddar Biscuit. You just have to eat them right away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unreal! These are fantastic. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete