Mar 30, 2010

Buttermilk Biscuits

One of the most common cooking related questions that I see is – what to do with leftover buttermilk?   Well, I usually don’t have that problem since I don’t buy buttermilk that often (I keep this on hand for some recipes).  Well I did buy a quart of it for the vanilla bean cupcakes I made recently.   So in the effort to not waste it – I was looking for a quick and easy way to use up exactly 1 cup.   This recipe is a great solution – they are super easy to whip up and they freeze and re-heat really well.   I served them with my favorite chili-rubbed salmon, but they would go well with just about anything!  Enjoy!
 

Ingredients

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. sugar
  • 3/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 cup buttermilk, chilled
  • 8 tbsp. (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled, plus 2 tbsp. extra for brushing

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 475 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

2. Whisk flour, baking powder, soda, sugar and salt together in a large bowl. 

3. In a medium bowl, stir the melted butter and chilled buttermilk together until the butter forms small clumps. 

4.  Stir the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture, just until incorporated.

5. Using a 1/4 measuring cup or ice cream scoop, drop mounds of dough onto parchment lined baking sheet. 

6. Bake until golden brown, 12-14 minutes, rotating halfway through baking.

7. Brush baked biscuits with additional melted butter, before serving.

 

Source: The America’s Test Kitchen Family Baking Book, pg. 27

Printer-friendly version

3 comments:

  1. YUM! I love a good biscuit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! Haven't had buttermilk biscuits in ages, since I moved from S. Carolina up to Maine. Must make a meal worthy of them soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had an aunt who made wonderful biscuits. These remind me of her. Delcious!

    ReplyDelete