Apr 16, 2010

Brownie Pudding



I know what you are thinking - what is that amazing deliciousness I see in these photos? – It is one of the easiest, most decadent desserts I’ve ever made.   It is similar to a molten lava cake, but it is also similar to homemade hot fudge.  You have to serve this with some homemade vanilla ice cream (I used this recipe), to balance out the rich chocolate flavor and the cold ice cream is perfect with the warm pudding.  I also used some Dutch process cocoa powder – and I think it really helped with the intense chocolate flavor in this dish.  I am so excited that we finally got a Penzeys in Buffalo – so I can actually find items like this! 
I served this immediately after making it – but with the leftovers we reheated for 30 seconds in the microwave and it was just as good as when it was first made. Enjoy!
 

Ingredients

  • ½ lb. (2 sticks) unsalted butter
  • 4 large eggs, at room temperature
  • 2 cups sugar
  • ¾ cup cocoa powder (I used Dutch process)
  • ½ cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise

Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 325˚ F. 

2. Lightly butter a 2-quart oval baking dish (using the butter wrappers).  Melt the 2 sticks of butter in the microwave and set aside to cool.

3. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the eggs and sugar.  Beat together on medium-high speed until thick and light yellow in color. 

4. Meanwhile, combine the flour and cocoa powder in a medium bowl and whisk together until blended.

5. When the eggs and sugar are finished mixing, scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean into the mixing bowl. 

6. Add the flour-cocoa powder mixture to the bowl as well.  Mix on low speed just until combined.  With the mixer still on low, slowly pour the melted butter and mix again just until combined.

7. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish.  Place the baking dish in a larger baking pan.  Add very hot tap water to the outer baking pan to create a water bath, coming halfway up the side of the baking dish. 

8. Bake for 60 minutes.  The center will appear very under-baked, that is the way the dessert should be.  Allow to cool slightly before serving with ice cream.

Source: seen on Annie’s Eat’s,  who adapted it from Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics by Ina Garten

printer-friendly version

3 comments:

  1. Wow...that's so gooey and chocolatey...mmm. I was just thinking of making a brownie today but feeling a little lazy. Seeing this...I better make! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is/was amazingly good. Christine surprise me with this. I was unsure what to expect - and it is good...

    ReplyDelete