Jul 23, 2010

Pizza San Vito

This is my take on one of my absolute favorite pizzas that we order at a local Italian restaurant.  I still had half a batch of pizza dough in my freezer from the last time I grilled pizza – so I thought I would try something different.  The only change with this pizza, since I cooked the crust directly on the grill, was that I finished this in the oven so that I could broil the top and get the cheese nice and brown and bubbly!   I have a feeling I will make this version all year round – so it definitely doesn’t need to be grilled.  Enjoy!
Ingredients
(makes 2 pizzas the size above)

  • 1/2 batch of pizza dough
  • 1/2 batch of pizza sauce
  • 8 oz. fresh mozzarella, sliced thin
  • 10-15 kalamata olives, pitted and sliced in half
  • 8 marinated artichoke hearts, quartered
  • 4-6 slices of sopprasseta salami, sliced into strips
  • 6-8 fresh basil leaves, sliced in thin strips
  • salt and pepper, to taste

Directions
If making on the grill – cook the dough on each side on a medium grill until cooked through, then assemble pizza ingredients and finish in the oven on a low broiler until cheese is bubbly and brown.
If making in the oven, assemble pizza and cook on a pizza stone in a preheated 500 degree oven for 10-14 minutes.   
Source: inspired by Romeo and Juliet’s

1 comment:

  1. Love pizza on the grill, but like the idea of finishing it under the broiler. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete