Aug 2, 2010

Buttermilk Waffles

 
Waffle batter and my rainbow whisk!
Waffles are one of those things that I really love but I don’t make often or even eat that often.  If for some reason I go out for breakfast – which is very, very rarely I almost always order an omelet.   Luckily (and unlucky for me) my camera decided to somehow lose a bunch of photos I took.  And well, these waffles were too good to not make again right way just so I could blog about them.  I think they are going to be something I make again and again.   They are quick to whip up and while the batter rests, you can pre-heat the waffle iron and get together your toppings together.     
The first time I made these I topped with some fresh local strawberries – and this time with some fresh blueberries – and of course, real maple syrup. Whatever you use top these with – they are sure to be a hit for a weekend morning breakfast.  Enjoy!

Ingredients

  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch
  • 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. table salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp. sugar
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract

Directions

1. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Whisk well.

2. Add the milk, buttermilk, vegetable oil, egg, and vanilla extract. Whisk to blend well, so that few (if any) lumps remain. Set aside to rest for about 30 minutes.

3. Preheat a waffle iron on a medium color setting (will vary depending on your waffle maker).

4. Pour an appropriate amount of batter into your hot waffle maker (depending on shape and size of your maker – mine makes 3 waffles with this recipe). Cook until golden and crisp.

Source: Orangette

Printer-friendly version

2 comments:

  1. I think I know what I'm making this weekend for breakfast!!! :) I have all the ingredients waiting for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. okay that whisk is way too fun!!! I love it...and the waffles look pretty amazing too :)

    ReplyDelete