Aug 20, 2010

Peach Jam Scones

This is my weekly summer peach recipe – I added these to my baking list immediately after seeing them on so many blogs a few weeks ago as part of project pastry queen.  They looked so delicious – I had to try them right away.  I also made my own vanilla bean - peach jam last summer (pre-blog so no recipe to share!) and I still had a jar of it – that was perfect for this recipe.  
I made 2/3 of the original recipe and it still gave me 12 large scones!  I ended up freezing the 8 scones that I didn’t immediately cook – so I can make them for an easy breakfast treat anytime!  I’ve been freezing so many things lately, I feel like I need an second freezer just to keep up.   Enjoy!

Ingredients

(this is the full recipe – it will make HUGE scones – so it may be best to halve or make 2/3 of this recipe)

  • 6 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, chilled
  • 1 1/2 – 2 cups buttermilk
  • 1/2 cup high quality peach jam
  • 3 fresh peaches, pitted & sliced

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (if baking immediately).

2. In the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade, process the flour, 1 cup of sugar, the baking powder and salt for about 30 seconds.

3. Cut the butter into 1/2-inch cubes and add it to the flour mixture. Pulse about 15 times, until the butter-flour mixture is crumbly.

4. With the processor running, slowly pour 1 1/2 cups buttermilk through the feed tube. Stop the processor as soon as the buttermilk has been added. If the dough has begun to stick together in a ball, remove it. Otherwise, add buttermilk one Tablespoon at a time and pulse until dough begins to clump up and form a ball.

5. Place the dough on a lightly floured flat surface. Pat dough into a 1/4-inch-thick rectangle, about 12×10 inches.

6. Spread a thin layer of jam length-wise over half the dough and arrange the peach slices in a single layer on top of the jam.

7. Fold the plain dough over the peaches making a 12 by 5-inch rectangle with the jam & peaches inside. Cut into 8-16 triangles and sprinkle the top with the remaining 1/4 cup sugar.

8. Bake on an ungreased baking sheet for 10-15 minutes until golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature.

note: if freezing – shape and cut dough – then place on baking sheets in the freezer until solid frozen. Then store in freezer bags.  When ready to bake – preheat oven to 425 degrees F and bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown. 

Source: The Pastry Queen by Rebecca Rather, as seen on Delish

Printer-friendly version

No comments:

Post a Comment