Aug 17, 2010

Thai Basil Chicken

I finally got hold of some thai basil – but it was actually pretty easy – since I grew it in my backyard!  My mom actually started it from seed for me.  So it really started out tiny – and it has finally gotten big enough to use with out picking off every single leaf! 
This dish exceeded my expectations – it was super flavorful and delicious.  I ended up adding too many chilies (and seeds) so this was way hotter than I usually cook – but that is easily resolved by adding less next time.  This is perfect for a quick, weeknight meal and the leftovers were great too – so Enjoy!

Ingredients

  • 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 4 - 6 “bird’s eye” chilies, minced with seeds (use more/less to taste)
  • 2 shallots, diced
  • 10 oz. chicken breast, ground or finely chopped
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp. fish sauce
  • 1/2 tsp. soy sauce
  • 2 tsp. brown sugar
  • 1 big bunch Thai basil leaves, stems removed
  • 2 dashes ground white pepper
  • 7 oz. (half a box) rice noodles

Directions

1. Prepare rice noodles according to package directions. [I soaked mine in hot water for 20-30 minutes]

2. Heat a wok or a heavy skillet over medium high heat until very hot.

3. Add the oil, garlic and chilies and stir fry until until the garlic is very fragrant.

4. Add the shallots and continue stir frying until they have wilted. Add the chicken and fry until the chicken is cooked.

5. Stir in the fish sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar and white pepper. 

6. Add rice noodles to the pan and continue to stir fry until any liquid has evaporated and noodles are softened.

7. Add the basil and stir until the leaves are wilted and bright green.

Source: adapted from Gimme Some Oven

Printer-friendly version

No comments:

Post a Comment