Dec 31, 2010

Best of 2010

 

Can you believe that 2010 is already over?  For myself – 2010 was a year filled with happiness, sadness and everything in-between.  I am really looking forward to the new year and what it means for me and my family.  I’m not too into making ‘resolutions’ – but I definitely have goals set for myself to accomplish in 2011.  One of my main highlights of this year has been the joy I have gotten out of this food blogging hobby of mine.  I joined the Daring Bakers and made some desserts that I never thought I would ever attempt to make.  I got a new camera – and am working on improving my photography skills, both personally and for the blog.  I have enjoyed each and every one of your comments or kind emails on my blog – it really is humbling to know that people read and enjoy my posts.   

And now for a year-in review of sorts – I am going to post a link to the favorite recipe I made from each month over this past year.  I am going to try my hardest to not post all desserts. Smile

JanuarySpicy Baked Chicken Tenders

image

These are still one of my favorite easy treats – and a much healthier version than something you would get from a fast food place.  The super crunchy coating tastes like it was fried, even though it is baked.  YUM!

FebruarySamoas

image

This is easily the most popular post on my blog – thanks in part to a link on Mother Nature Network.   But it is also for a good reason – Samoas are one of the most popular girl scout cookies – and everyone wants to enjoy them during the time of year when they are not available.  I love this easy bar version – I was amazed at how much they tasted like the real thing – I need to make these again soon.

MarchPork Tostadas

image 

March was a tough choice – I made several of my favorites (check out these Greek Turkey Burgers, Chocolate Chip Treasure Cookies and Tin Roof Ice Cream).  But these pork tostadas earned the top spot – they were the biggest surprise for both my husband and me – so flavorful and delicious.  Worth every bit of effort – I can’t wait to make them again soon – I’ve been on the hunt for queso fresco and if I find it – I’m making these stat!

AprilThick and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

image

This was an easy choice  - you cannot beat the perfect, classic chocolate chip cookie.  And the bonus is that they are super easy to whip up.   I have made these many times since I discovered this recipe – and you can never grow tired of perfection. 

MayChocolate dipped Strawberry Ice Cream

image

Hands down this is my favorite ice cream recipe of the year – I love chocolate and strawberries and adding ice cream to the mix makes it even better.  If you make one ice cream recipe next summer when strawberries come into season – make this your choice. 

JuneSummer Pasta Bolognese

 image

Once zucchinis and tomatoes start coming into season – this is the first dish I turn to make.  It is super easy to whip up and healthy too.  It’s the type of dish that when I’m full – I could still eat more because it’s so tasty – and that I have no problem eating leftovers for lunch for days. 

JulyLemon Meringue Cupcakes

 image

I definitely have a cupcake addiction – I like them so much better than eating a piece of cake – no utensils needed and everyone gets the same size piece.  These lemon meringue cupcakes were so cute and fun to make.  And any recipe involving a kitchen torch is all right with me.     

August Buttermilk Waffles

image

August was a hard choice since I love fresh, local summer produce.  But these buttermilk waffles (topped with fresh local blueberries, of course) are probably the most repeated item I’ve made all year.  Once I found this recipe – I was craving waffles every weekend.  In fact, we just had them on Christmas morning and I want them again already.

SeptemberPeach Shortbread Bars and Oreo Cupcakes

image

image

Ok – I couldn’t choose just one for September.  Peaches are my absolute favorite fruit – so I had to pick something that I made with peaches.  And I could not let this best-of post go by without including the infamous Oreo cupcakes.  They are both too good not to give a second look at! 

October – Apple Cider Doughnuts

    image

One of my favorite Daring Bakers challenges from the year.  I’ve never attempted to make my own doughnuts before – but they are amazing.  They actually turned out to be much simpler than I thought – but worth all of the trouble.  Perfect for a fall get together to celebrate the season.

November – Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese

image

My favorite macaroni and cheese recipe of the year.  The butternut squash adds a flavor that is so perfectly balanced with the cheese.   It’s actually a very simple recipe to mix up – I can’t wait until next fall to make this again (or I bet I can still find some squash at the store and make this sooner).  

DecemberCaramel Apple Cheesecake Pie

image

In December I only posted 4 non-dessert recipes – so I obviously have been baking up a sweet storm.  But this pie is hands down the winner for the best of the year.  Graham cracker crust, homemade caramel, apples, cheesecake and fresh whipped cream – yes please! 

Well, I hope you enjoyed my pick of the best of 2010.   Here is to a another year filled with yummy treats and healthy dinners in 2011! 

2 comments:

  1. Love the samoas and apple cider doughnuts! Great year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the time you put into this fabulous blog. You are amazing :)

    ReplyDelete