Jan 28, 2011

Pomegranate-balsamic glazed Salmon

pom glazed salmon 1

Salmon is one of my go-to easy weeknight meals.  It cooks in hardly any time at all and is really good for you too!  I almost always make my go to recipe – chili rubbed salmon, but once in awhile I like to mix things up.  I had some pomegranate juice in the fridge already – so I thought it would be a cook idea to use it in my meal as well.   I really loved the favor that the pomegranate juice and balsamic vinegar bring to this glaze – it is not overly sweet.  I kept this meal simple and served it with some wild rice and green beans – perfect, simple, weeknight meal.  Enjoy!

Ingredients

Pomegranate-Balsamic Glaze

  • 3 Tbsp. Pomegranate juice
  • 2 Tbsp. light brown sugar
  • 2 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
  • 1 Tbs. whole grain mustard
  • 1 tsp. cornstarch
  • pinch cayenne pepper

Salmon

  • 1 tsp. light brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
  • 1/4 tsp. cornstarch
  • 4 salmon fillets, similar in size and thickness
  • ground black pepper
  • 1 tsp. olive or vegetable oil

Directions

1. To make the glaze: Whisk together all the ingredients in a small saucepan.  Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook for about 1-2 minutes, until thickened and syrupy.  Remove from heat and cover to keep warm.

2. To make the salmon: Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.

3. Combine the brown sugar, salt, and cornstarch in a small bowl.  Pat the salmon dry with paper towels, and season with pepper. 

4. Sprinkle the brown sugar mixture evenly over the salmon, rubbing to distribute.

5. Heat the oil in an oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. 

6. Place salmon, skin-side-down (if your has the skin-on), in the skillet, and cook until well-browned, about 1 minute.  Use a spatula to carefully flip each fillet, and cook on the skin-side for 1 minute.

7. Remove the skillet from heat and brush the fillets evenly with the glaze.

8. Transfer the skillet to the oven and cook until the thickest part of the fillet registers 125 degrees, and is just translucent with cut with a paring knife, 7-10 minutes. 

Source: Cook’s Illustrated Jan. 2011

Printer-friendly version

1 comment:

  1. I love the combination of pomegranate and balsamic vinegar. I like to make salad dressing with them, but I bet a glaze would be really tasty!

    ReplyDelete