May 24, 2011

Meat Sauce

meat sauce

I saw this recipe and immediately knew I had to make it.  There is something so comforting about simple spaghetti and meat sauce.   I know I’ve been absent from the blog for too long – I’ve been so busy travelling for work.   And that means eating out for every meal for the week (ugh!).  When I get back home all I want to do is cook my own food and get my digestive system back in order.   So simple, easy, comforting food is what I turn to – tacos, pasta, salmon, rice, etc.  What is great about this dish is that you can freeze the extra sauce for an easy meal – like when you finally get home after a week away and have no food left in your fridge.  This is especially helpful if you happen to have your flight cancelled and you get home a day later than you expected (Thanks again American Airlines!)

Ingredients

  • 1 lb. sweet Italian sausage
  • 3/4 lb. lean ground beef
  • 1/2 cup minced onion
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
  • 2 (6-ounce) cans tomato paste
  • 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
  • 1/2 tsp. fennel seeds, crushed
  • 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
  • 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
  • 4 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
  • dash of nutmeg

Directions

1. In a Dutch oven, heat the sausage, ground beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until the meat is cooked through. 

2. Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce and water and cook for 1-2 minutes.  Stir in the rest of the ingredients. 

3. Simmer, covered, for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.

Source: Pennies on a Platter

Printer-friendly version

1 comment:

  1. Hola friend! I really enjoyed your blog. A good design. good recipes and so I became a new follower. It will be a pleasure to have you as a friend and most know a little of the cooking recipes of their country. Visit my blog and learn more about what we do here in Brazil!
    http://kibe-cozinhandocomamigos.blogspot.com/

    Hugs from Brazil!

    Luiz

    ReplyDelete