Jun 27, 2011

Chocolate Peanut butter Squares

chocolate peanut butter squares 2

This is one of the first recipes I remember making as a child.  My sister entered it into a baking contest as part of Girl Scouts and won second place!  I actually still have the paper booklet with all the recipes that the kids made for that contest – I was so proud of my sister!  I’m pretty sure it’s a recipe that my Aunt Linda gave us – since she is the one who I remember making these for family parties, etc.   It’s actually a great recipe for a beginner in the kitchen – there is no actual baking involved – just some melting and stirring and mixing.   Essentially what they are is like a peanut butter cup in bar form – and you can’t really go wrong with that!   They are best cold out of the fridge – I’ve also been known to freeze them and eat them straight out of the freezer (YUM!).  

Ingredients

  • 3 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups peanut butter
  • 2 sticks butter, melted
  • 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
  • 12 oz. semisweet chocolate chips

Directions

1. Line a 13x9 inch rimmed baking sheet with foil. 

2. Mix together sugar, peanut butter, butter and graham cracker crumbs with a rubber spatula. 

3. Press mixture into the lined baking sheet and smooth top.

4. Melt chocolate chips in the microwave on medium heat – stirring occasionally.  Spread over peanut butter mixture and smooth top.

5. Refrigerate until chocolate is set – at least 2 hours or overnight.

6. Remove from pan with foil and cut into squares (the chocolate will break).  Keep in refrigerator until ready to serve.

Printer-friendly version

3 comments:

  1. I bet there will be a few grocery lists with peanut butter on them shortly seeing that photo. This recipe can sure make ya burn thru a jar! This is one of my wife's favorites; in fact, one year a pan of "Buckeye Bars" became her birthday cake. =)

    If you're looking to make your bars deluxe, I've made with 85% cacao and there's still plenty of sweet in what's underneath to carry the chocolate. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love these, i haven't made them in way too long but they're some of the most people pleasing treats out there! thanks for the reminder :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always looking for simple recipes like this, since baking isn't my strength. I wonder how these would taste with almond butter instead of peanut?

    ReplyDelete