Jun 6, 2011

Yellow butter cake with Chocolate frosting

yellow butter cake 1

I love birthdays – a perfect reason to make a cake – a delight for someone who likes to bake as much as I do.  I had to plan something easy since I made this cake after being gone on a work trip for a week and arriving home a day late since my flight was cancelled.  But I love to bake and I love my mom too much to not make this cake for her.  Luckily it was an easy cake to whip up.  I also made the frosting the day before and then just frosted this once I got to my sisters house where we had a cookout and ate the cake.   

yellow butter cake 2

As I mentioned several times before – my niece loves birthdays – and especially when it is for her grandma.  Here she is with my mom getting ready to blow out the candles and make a wish. 

yellow butter cake 3

The cake was delish – a perfect soft crumb and the frosting was rich and chocolaty.  We also had some vanilla ice cream and strawberries alongside this – yum!   You cannot get much better than the classic yellow cake and chocolate frosting.  My sister specifically said to me – make sure this goes up on your blog.   I have a feeling I will be requested to make this again – and no problem fulfilling that request. 

yellow butter cake 4

Ingredients

For the cake:

  • 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 cups cake flour
  • 1 Tbsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 3/4 cups sugar
  • 4 large eggs
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 1/4 cups milk

For the frosting:

  • 1 lb. semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
  • 6 Tbsp. Dutch-process cocoa powder
  • 6 Tbsp. boiling water
  • 3 sticks (1 1/2 cups) unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
  • Pinch of salt

Directions

1. To make the cakes: Preheat the oven to 350˚ F.  Line the bottoms of two 9-inch round cake pans with parchment paper.  Spray with baking spray.

2. In a medium bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, cake flour, baking powder, and salt; whisk together to blend well and set aside.

3. In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the butter and sugar.  Beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes, scraping down the bowl as needed. 

4. Mix in the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Blend in the vanilla.  With the mixer on low speed, add in the dry ingredients in three additions, alternating with the milk.  Beat each addition just until incorporated.

5. Divide the batter between the prepared baking pans.  Bake, rotating the pans halfway through baking, until the cakes are golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 30-35 minutes. 

6. Transfer the pans to a wire rack and let cool 20 minutes.  Run a knife around the edge of the pans to help remove the cakes.  Invert the cakes onto the rack and peel off the parchment.  Let the cakes cool completely before frosting. 

7. To make the frosting: Place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water.  Heat, stirring occasionally, until the chocolate has melted.  Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature, about 25-30 minutes.  Meanwhile, combine the cocoa powder and boiling water in a small bowl; stir until the cocoa is dissolved.

8. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter, confectioners’ sugar and salt on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 3-4 minutes.  Add the melted chocolate; beat on low speed until combined, 1-2 minutes.  Beat in the cocoa mixture until well blended.

9. To assemble the cake: Place one of the cake layers on a serving platter.  Top with 1 cup of the chocolate frosting and smooth over the top of the cake.  Top with the remaining cake layer.  Frost the top and sides of the cake with the remaining frosting as desired. 

Source: Martha Stewart’s Baking Handbook as seen on Annie’s Eats

Printer-friendly version

2 comments:

  1. Your cake reminds me of the ones my mother used to make when I was a kid. It looks so good and the chocolate frosting is looks so creamy. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd love it if you'd come by and link your cake up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/06/sweets-for-saturday-21.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is the yellow cake recipe that i always use

    ReplyDelete