Aug 3, 2011

Lemon Pesto Tuna Salad

pesto tuna salad 4

This is one of my husbands all-time favorite side dishes.  I found the recipe years ago when I got Rachael Ray magazine (I only got the first year and then stopped getting it) – it was pegged as a recipe that children could make and enjoy.  Good thing my husband is really like a big child (at heart) – since he just loves this dish.  

I made it easy on myself and bought some already prepared pesto – but you can definitely make your own if you have an abundance of basil.  This really is a great summertime dish – you can use lots of fresh, in season ingredients and it keeps well since there is not mayo or anything that may spoil easily in it.   Everyone who tried this loved it (just not as much as my husband) – I hope you love it too!  Enjoy!

pesto tuna salad 3

Ingredients

  • 1 cup pesto (store-bought or homemade)
  • Juice from 1 lemon
  • 2 (6-oz.) cans of water-packed tuna, drained
  • 4 scallions, sliced thin
  • 1 jarred roasted red pepper, cut into small strips
  • 1 pint grape tomatoes
  • 1/2 pound medium sized shaped pasta, cooked al dente and drained
  • salt and pepper, to taste

Directions

1. Cook pasta al dente according to package directions, drain and set aside to cool.

2. In a large bowl combine the pesto and lemon juice. 

3. Add in the tuna and flake with a fork to break up pieces.

4. Add the scallions, red pepper, tomatoes and pasta.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Source: Everyday with Rachael Ray magazine June/July 2006

Printer-friendly version

1 comment:

  1. this looks fabulous! I'm always looking for new ways to use tuna!

    ReplyDelete