Oct 28, 2011

Honeycrisp Apple Crisp

honeycrisp apple crisp1

The thing about apples are that there are so many varieties to choose from it makes it hard to pick.  I know for sure that I do not like Red Delicious (why is this always the apple of choice at so many places?!).  But I like to pick a type that I enjoy eating and baking with.  Enter the Honeycrisp – super crunchy and sweet – I love them!   I almost don’t want to buy any other varieties this fall for fear of being disappointed.  But I bought so many Honeycrisp that I knew I had to bake something with them.   I decided on one of my very favorite desserts – apple crisp.  There is nothing more heartwarming on on a cold wet Autumn day than a warm bowl of apple crisp with a side of vanilla ice cream.   Enjoy!

honeycrisp apple crisp3

Ingredients

apple layer:

  • 2 1/2 lbs. Honeycrisp apples, peeled and sliced
  • 1/3 cup vanilla sugar (or 1/3 sugar mixed with seeds from 1/2 of a vanilla bean)
  • 2 Tbsp. flour
  • 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp. salt

crumble:

  • 1/2 cup vanilla sugar (or 1/2 cup sugar mixed with seeds from 1/2 of a vanilla bean)
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp. salt
  • 8 Tbsp. unsalted butter, chilled, cut into cubes

Directions

1.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray an 8x8 in. baking dish with non-stick spray. 

2. In a large bowl, combine the apples, sugar, flour, lemon juice, cinnamon and salt.  Stir to coat the apples evenly.  Then place in baking dish.

3. In a food processor or with a pastry blender combine the ingredients for the topping – sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt and butter.  Pulse (or blend) together until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. 

4. Top apples with the crumble.  Bake uncovered for 45 minutes until apples are soft.   Cool for 30 minutes before serving.

Source: adapted from Butteryum

Printer-friendly version

1 comment:

  1. I love Honeycrisp apples too and your crisp looks amazing! I make one using reduced-fat butter. I bet it would work just fine with your yummy recipe.

    ReplyDelete