Dec 30, 2011

Best of 2011

2011 isn’t really a year that I want to remember, but looking back on what I’ve posted – I have made some pretty yummy things.  I’ve also been making lots of my old favorites – so I haven’t had as much new content on the blog this year.

I’ve definitely seen an improvement in my photography as I work my way though understanding my dSLR.  I hope that 2012 brings many more delicious treats and healthy dinner ideas to share with you!  Here’s a year-in-review of my favorite recipe (or recipes) from each month this year.  I don’t know about you – but I can’t wait to ring in 2012!

JanuarySponge Candy

image

Living in Buffalo, NY sponge candy is considered a staple candy.  I’m glad I found a recipe that others can enjoy if they can’t get sponge candy as easily as I can.

FebruaryChocolate Macarons & Thin Crust Pizza

image

My first and only (I definitely need to change that this year!) attempt at French Macarons.  They were amazing and I was so happy they turned out so perfectly. 

image

Thin crust pizza – I seriously need to make this again STAT.  Crispy, chewy crust and so satisfying.

MarchChicken lo mein

image

This has become one of my go-to easy weeknight meals.  I’ve discovered these lo mein noodles at my grocery store – and this meal is even easier since I just have to defrost the noodles and not boil them separately.  I’ve made this meal more times than I can count – and I haven’t ordered Chinese take-out since! 

AprilDouble Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream

image

I love anything cookie dough and I love anything ice cream – so this was a no-brainer.  Almost too good to be true…

MayMeyer Lemon Cookies

image

I travelled for work a ton in May – so I didn’t do a lot of cooking or blog posting.  But I did discover my love for Meyer lemons – and these cookies were a great example of a way to use them. 

JuneChocolate Peanut Butter Squares

image

This is a family recipe that I’ve enjoyed my entire life – and finally got around to posting on the blog.  I like to keep leftovers in the freezer and eat them straight out of the freezer – it’s a reese’s cup, but better.

JulyStrawberry Shortcakes

image

July was my month of almost exclusive strawberry desserts – and shortcakes were my favorite way to enjoy them.   It doesn’t feel more like summer than fresh shortcakes and fresh, local strawberries.  Luckily I still have some more in my freezer to enjoy over the winter.

AugustLemon Tuna Pesto Salad

image

This is one of my husbands favorite pasta salads – fresh tomatoes, fresh pesto, tuna and lemon.  It’s the perfect summer salad – I can almost feel the summertime heat just thinking about this dish. 

SeptemberSanta Fe Burgers & Peach Brown Sugar Ice Cream

image

These burgers were a surprise hit with me – and turned out to be one of my new favorite burger recipes.  I can’t wait until its warm enough to grill outside again.

image

Peaches are my favorite fruit – so peach ice cream never fails me.  The brown sugar was the perfect compliment to perfect summer peach.

OctoberChicken with tomato-herb pan sauce

image

Just seeing this photo again made me add this on the menu for next week.  I forgot how much we loved this and how flavorful it was with just a few ingredients. 

NovemberChocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes

image

Easily one of the richest desserts of the year – but completely worth every.single.calorie.

DecemberDutch Apple Pie

image

My new staple recipe for apple pie – I know I can never try another recipe after tasting this one.

Thanks for reading – and here’s to a great 2012!!!! 

3 comments:

  1. Lovely pictures. I clicked on the chicken with tomatoes and was surprised to see that I had commented on the original post! I guess I better bookmark that recipe and make it. Like your hubby, I LOVE tomatoes! I am interested in the lo mein also, but not sure if I can find the noodles in my small town.
    ~Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an amazing person Christine and your love of cooking/baking has really inspired a lot of people. I hope that 2012 is filled with lots of wonderful things for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These all look great, Christine. Even though I'm so overloaded on sugar/sweets from Christmas treats I would still really like to eat one of those chocolate pb cupcakes! Here's to a wonderful 2012!

    ReplyDelete