Apr 26, 2012

Chicken and Spinach Flautas

chicken and spinach flautas 1

My husband is a fan of ordering flautas when we go out for Mexican food (although it is rare that we do – excluding Chipolte, of course!).  So I was happy when I found this recipe – my husband was sad because he wanted me to fry them. But they are baked for a reason – its healthier and easier this way.  I’m not going to say it tastes better – because I’m not going to lie a fried tortilla is pretty darn good.   But the ooey gooey cheese and spinach and chicken tasted great!

I also wouldn’t say this is a great weeknight meal – since you have to cook the chicken, spinach and then roll and bake the flautas – which all in all takes a while.  It didn’t help that I also made my own guacamole and mexican rice – so I was definitely beat when I finished cooking these.  Thank goodness for margaritas!  Enjoy!

chicken and spinach flautas 2

Ingredients

  • 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 tsp. Kosher salt
  • 1 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1 tsp. chili powder
  • 1 Jalapeno pepper, ribs and seeds removed, minced
  • 2 cups baby spinach, chopped
  • 12 flour tortillas (8 inch)
  • 6 ounces shredded Colby jack cheese
  • cooking spray

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.

2. In a large saucepan, combine the chicken broth, water, salt, garlic powder, cumin, chili powder and half of the jalapeno. Add the chicken to the pan and bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.  Remove the chicken and shred with two forks once cooled a bit.

3. Pour out all but 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid. Add the remaining jalapeno and spinach; cook over low heat for a couple minutes, until the spinach is wilted.

4. Spoon a heaping tablespoon of the chicken mixture near the edge of the tortilla. Add a spoonful of spinach and cheese over top of the chicken. Roll the tortilla up tightly. Place seam-side down on a greased cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining tortillas.

5. Spray the prepared flautas with cooking spray. Bake for 10 minutes, flip over and back for 5 to 10 minutes more until the tortillas are golden brown.

Source: So Tasty, So Yummy

Printer-friendly version

1 comment: