I *love* having an excuse to bake – I really do not need much convincing. So when my husband requests treats to bring to a group he is working with – I am more than happy to oblige. The hard part for me is picking out what to make. These beauties have been on my pinterest dessert board for a while now – so they seemed like the perfect treat to make for a group. The crunch oatmeal crust and topping and the gooey, chocolaty centers were a perfect dessert treat. Enjoy!
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 3 cups oats
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 1 can (15 oz.) Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 325. Grease and flour a 9×13 pan.
2. In a large bowl sift together flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
3. In large mixing bowl, beat together the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time and beat until combined. Add vanilla and mix well.
4. Add the sifted flour mixture and mix until combined. Stir in oatmeal.
5. Gently spread 2/3 crust into bottom of prepared pan. Reserve the rest for topping.
6. To make the fudge layer: Over medium-Low heat, melt together chocolate chips, sweetened condensed milk, 2 tablespoons butter, and salt. Stir until smooth. Remove mixture from heat and stir in vanilla.
7. Evenly pour filling mixture onto crust but keeping filling about a 1/4 inch away from side of pan so it does not stick to side while baking. Evenly dollup top of filling with remaining oat mixture. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until topping is light brown and fudge layer set but not solid.
8. Cool in pan on rack until set before cutting. Keep stored in airtight container.
Source: Erin’s Food Files